Consumer News Round-Up: Ryanair strikes, Panda & Pinergy to increase prices & travel insurance
European Consumer Centre (ECC) Ireland presents a round-up of the week’s consumer news – in case you missed it!
Consumer News round-up – week ending 6th July 2018
Your rights when something goes wrong with your travel plans
In light of announcements by Irish Ferries and Ryanair, Louise McBride wrote a great article in the Irish Independent earlier this week that looks at your rights when a flight or ferry is cancelled or delayed, or the company goes bust, and this then has a knock-on effect for other elements or your holiday such as accommodation and car rental. ECC Ireland gave some tips about your rights when you book a flight directly with an airline as opposed to when it’s part of a travel package and schemes that provide extra protections for travel packages.
Ryanair pilot and cabin crew strikes and your air passenger rights
It’s been a busy week for Ryanair. First pilots announced they were striking and now cabin crew. Although the airline will certainly attempt to try to minimise disruption caused to passengers, there is no doubt that some flight plans and holidays will be affected. We’ve put together some of the stories about the Ryanair strikes from this week along with some of the interviews that ECC Ireland did about EU air passenger rights.
Read the full articles here:
- ‘Latest: Ryanair ‘disappointed’ as pilots back strike action for next Thursday’, Irish Examiner, 3rd July 2018.
- ‘Ryanair strike Q&A: What should I do if my flight is cancelled?’, by Conor Pope, The Irish Times, 4th July 2018.
- ‘Ryanair urges Fórsa to call off its strike and attend talks’, by Ingrid Miley, RTÉ News online, 4th July 2018.
- ECC Ireland’s interview on RTÉ Radio Morning Ireland show – Ryanair strikes and your EU air passenger rights, 4th July 2018.
- ‘Q&A: As the Ryanair pilot strike looms, what passenger rights do you have?’, by Joe Leogue, Irish Examiner, 4th July 2018.
- ‘Ryanair crew in Spain, Portugal, Italy and Belgium to strike’, The Irish Times, 5th July 2018.
More price rises for gas and electricity customers
According to an article in The Irish Times this week, Panda Power and Pinergy have become the latest power providers to announce price increases for gas and electricity.
Why travel insurance is important
If you’re wondering whether to get travel insurance or not then perhaps you should read this article.