What do you do?

ECC Ireland offers advice on consumer rights when buying goods or services in another European country. We can directly contact the trader in another European country on your behalf if necessary. Our service is free and confidential.


I live in Ireland and I have a problem with a trader based in Ireland. Can you assist? 

No, we deal only with problems with traders in other European countries. If you have a complaint against a trader registered in Ireland, you should contact the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission (CCPC). Information and tools on consumer protection and personal finance may be found at the website, as well as further contact details. Corporate information on the CCPC can be found at


How can I make a complaint? 

You should first write to the trader and outline your complaint. It is advisable to keep a copy of such correspondence for your records. If you need advice on your rights, assistance with your complaint to the trader, or if you cannot reach a satisfactory settlement with the trader, you may contact our office (if both you and the trader are based in Ireland, you should contact the CCPC as indicated above).


If you can’t help, what are my options? 

While we try to find a solution to your problem, we do not have enforcement powers against traders. Further options will depend on the problem in question. We may be able to direct you to an alternative dispute resolution scheme (where the trader is a member of such). We may advise you to consider making a European Small Claims Procedure application, or to consider taking other legal action if necessary.