Woman wearing a denim shirt and a straw hat holding travel tickets in her hands beside man with short dark hair and a beard with camera around his neck, both smiling at a mobile phone in the man’s hands.

Travelling by train in the EU?

As a train passenger in Europe, you are protected by special laws. These rights are based on three basic principles:

  • Non-discrimination
  • Accurate, timely and accessible information
  • Immediate, proportional assistance

If something goes wrong, these laws may be able to help you, as this section outlines.

Good to know

If your train is expected to be delayed for more than 60 minutes or cancelled, you can choose between the following forms of compensation:

  • Refund of the full cost of your ticket – you can use our to make a claim for a cancelled train trip
  • Refund of the cost of the part of the journey you did not complete.

You can also claim a refund of the cost of the part of the journey you did complete if your journey was wasted due to a delay or cancellation. In that case, you also have a right to a return journey at the earliest opportunity to your point of departure.

You can claim compensation for the delay from the train company if you choose to continue your journey in spite of the delay. The minimum compensation is as follows:

  • 25% of the cost of your ticket in the event of a delay between 60-119 minutes
  • 50% of the cost of your ticket in the event of a delay of 120 minutes or more

You do not have a right to compensation if the cancellation or delay is the result of circumstances beyond the train company’s control.

If you believe that the train company did not take your rights as a train passenger into account, you must first contact the railway company itself.

They must reply to your complaint within a month. In some cases, they may take up to three months to reply to your complaint but they must inform you by what date you may expect a response from them.

If you do not receive an answer, or if you are not satisfied with the answer you received, you can file a complaint with the national enforcement authority of the country where the cancellation or delay took place.